Wednesday 2 November 2011

IS JESUS GOD?

Without a doubt, you have often heard the claim that Jesus is God, the second person in the “Holy Trinity”. However, the very Bible which is used as a basis for knowledge about Jesus and as the basis for doctrine within Christianity clearly belies this claim. I urge you to consult your own Bible and verify that the following arguments and conclusion are not drawn out of context:

God is all knowing … but Jesus is not:

When speaking of the day of judgment, Jesus clearly gave evidence of a limitation on his knowledge when he said, “but that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the son, but only the Father” (Mark 13:32, and Matthew 24:36). But God knows all. His knowledge is without any limitation. That Jesus, of his own admission, did not know when the Day of Judgment would be, is clear proof that Jesus is not all knowing, and that Jesus is therefore not God.

God does not have a God … but Jesus did have a God: 

God is the ultimate judge and refuge for all, and He does not call upon nor pray to any other. But Jesus acknowledge that there was one whom he prayed when he said, “I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and you’re God.” (John 20:17). Jesus is also reported to have cry out while on the cross, “My God, my God why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). If Jesus was God and Creator of the heavens and earth, then shouldn’t this be read: “Myself, myself why have I forsaken me?” Would that not be pure nonsense? When Jesus prayed the Lord’s Prayer (Luke 11:2-4), was he praying to himself? That Jesus, of his own admission and by his own action, acknowledged, worshipped, and prayed to another being as God is clear proof that Jesus himself is not God.

According to the Bible God is an invisible spirit … but Jesus was flesh and blood:

While thousand saw Jesus and heard is voice, Jesus himself said that this could not be done with God when he said: “No one has ever seen God” (John 1:18). “You have never heard His voice or seen his form” (John 5:37). Jesus also said in John 4:24, “God is a spirit and those who worship him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.” That Jesus would say that no one had seen or heard God at any time, while his followers both saw and heard him, is clear proof that Jesus was not God.

No one is greater than God and no one can direct Him … but Jesus acknowledge someone greater than himself whose will was distinct from his own: 

Perhaps the clearest indication we have that Jesus and God are not equal and therefore not one and the same, come again from the mouth of Jesus himself who said in John 14:28, “My Father is greater than I.” When someone referred to him as good master in Luke 18:19. Jesus response was: “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone…” Furthermore, Jesus drew clear distinction between himself and God Almighty when he said: “For I come from God and now I am here, I did not come on my own, but he sent me.” (John 8:42). Jesus gave clear evidence of his subordination to the God Almighty rather than his equality when he said in Luke 24:42: “Not my will but Yours be done”. And in John 5:30: “I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.” That Jesus would admit that he did not come into the world on his own initiative but was directed to do so. That he would acknowledge another being as greater than himself, and that he would negate his own will in deference to affirming the will of another, give clear proof that Jesus is not the Supreme One and therefore is not God.

CONCLUSION: The Church recognized the Bible as the primary source of knowledge about God and Jesus. But since the Bible makes it clear that Jesus is not the Supreme Being and the Supreme Being is not Jesus, upon what basis have you come to believe otherwise?

My dear brother or sister, the belief that the Supreme Being is a trinity is completely inconsistent with the words of Jesus as presented in the Bible. God is One, not three. He is a perfect unity.

No comments:

Popular Topics